Cooperating with Social.Coop

Talking to Matt Noyes from Social Co-op: https://cosocial.ca/@boris/111705815177109724

Prompts

How can the two orgs cooperate?

Are there shared working groups we can pursue?

Are there services or hardware servers we can share?

(Add some more prompts or questions here)

Co-Op Jam Session Tuesday, Jan 9th @ 5pm PST

All are welcome!

CoSocial Setup

Working groups

• Core: board and WG leads meet every other week (this is kind of like your organizing circle I guess)
  • Trust & Safety WG
  • TechOps WG, where @mick leads tech, and I’m doing ops which bleeds a bit into accounting/finance and such, but mostly tooling for the org
  • Membership Outreach WG
  • Comms WG

Stacks

• Free Slack, mostly for ops, finance, t&s chatter (maybe move to Mattermost on Cloudron?)
  • Members forum (this site): lots of members only groups (currently DO Droplet, will move to Cloudron)
  • Cloudron install on OVH bare metal server. WordPress blog, email, status and monitoring pages. Jitsi instance. Can experiment with installing apps there like Castopod. Could run Matrix (would want SSO). Could hand out email to members. Could run NextCloud.
  • Production fedi services on Digital Ocean Canada + AWS Canada. Terraform.

Social Co-Op

Social.Coop offers: Mastodon instance, Meet.Coop accounts, Nextcloud and Jitsi (via Mayfirst.org). We also use git.coop, matrix/element. Our wiki is here: Social.coop

We have three working groups: community (moderation +), tech, and finance, and just created a new one: the organizing circle.

I’m going to ping Matt and ask him to sign up here (I need someone to test non SSO sign up!)

And we can make an agenda and find a time for an open meeting.

I’m here!

1 Like

Awesome! Does Monday 8th, Tuesday 9th, or Wednesday 10th at 5pm PST work for you?

Or we can look for times the week after.

If you have some existing links of what services you all offer and how you have things setup that would be helpful.

I can write some more detail around our setup which we should do and put in public anyway.

@mick do you have any questions? And are any of those dates OK?

I can meet at 5pm PST on Mon or Tues this week, an hour later on Weds.
Social.Coop offers: Mastodon instance, Meet.Coop accounts, Nextcloud and Jitsi (via Mayfirst.org). We also use git.coop, matrix/element. Our wiki is here: Social.coop

We have three working groups: community (moderation +), tech, and finance, and just created a new one: the organizing circle. In this chat with you all, I am not representing social.coop in any official capacity. Just eager to explore intercooperation! :wink: I will bring any proposals to the OC.

@mnoyes thanks! I meant more like one layer down, too, of what runs stuff. I guess Mastodon is the only instance that you’re running “in house”? And I guess the wiki? And hosted Loomio?

Let’s do Tuesday (tomorrow) at 5pm PST → I made an event Co-Op Jam CoSocial + Social Co-op · Luma

Working groups

• Core: board and WG leads meet every other week (this is kind of like your organizing circle I guess)
  • Trust & Safety WG
  • TechOps WG, where @mick leads tech, and I’m doing ops which bleeds a bit into accounting/finance and such, but mostly tooling for the org
  • Membership Outreach WG
  • Comms WG

We have more labels than we do have super active volunteers at this point :slight_smile:

Stacks

• Free Slack, mostly for ops, finance, t&s chatter (maybe move to Mattermost on Cloudron?)
  • Members forum (this site): lots of members only groups (currently DO Droplet, will move to Cloudron)
  • Cloudron install on OVH bare metal server. WordPress blog, email, status and monitoring pages. Jitsi instance. Can experiment with installing apps there like Castopod. Could run Matrix (would want SSO). Could hand out email to members. Could run NextCloud.
  • Production fedi services on Digital Ocean Canada + AWS Canada. Terraform.

Some raw notes by me

=====

Is there interesting in Castopod fediverse service?

Lots of interest in additional services

Examples

Meet.Coop (Canada based!) – quebec, hosted by WebTV

• created by a number of co-ops
  • hosted in Germany originally
  • too big a burden for the organizations involved
  • new accounts, questions/issues
  • decided to wind down – but! – in the process, Hypha folks helped make a connection to https://web.tv, migrate it other
  • has kept working

Lots of money in the bank social.coop - Open Collective – should we spend it?

Organizing circle is new, and driving things forward.

Tech circle – always rejected getting paid

Community Working Group – mostly deal with registrations and moderation. On call, takes a week a month. Get a stipend, also for meetings. And coordinator gets an additional stipend.

How many members?

• 1500 Mastodon accounts
  • 450 active members on the Mastodon
  • Active on Loomio → 300 something

Digital Co-ops in Colorado?

• Boris knows of 1 at least

MayFirst May First Movement Technology

• Email
  • Nextcloud
  • individuals use Jitsi

Co-Op Cloud https://coopcloud.tech/

Co-ops in Bologna

• care management of 35 of them
  • established back office

List of Tech Co-ops:

Canadian Tech Co-ops:

Emi and DWebYVR https://dwebyvr.org

geo.coop

Use technology all the time!

Technical co-ops have a product that’s available

Been involved with local libraries? Nathan? Media Lab @ Boulder / University of Colorado

Castopod working together